We believe that local businesses power our state's economic engine.
Yes, they provide goods and services and yes, they keep our downtowns and countryside vibrant and thriving, but the most important product of any small business is quality jobs. It's a goal shared by employers and employees alike, and one we help them to achieve.
VCLF works with businesses of all shapes, sizes and ages, ranging from start-up to mature, small farms to specialty foods, renewable energy to high-tech, manufacturers to service providers to retail.
Need more than just a loan? We provide comprehensive business development assistance to make sure you have access to the skills and planning you need for your business to succeed.
If you're interested in leasing specialized food production equipment, we've partnered with the Center for an Agricultural Economy and the Mad River Food Hub to offer the Vermont Equipment Access Program. Dowload the VEAP brochure here.
General Business Program Eligibility
- Support sustainable local economies
- Conserve or expand economically viable uses of Vermont's working landscape and/or natural resources
- Increase economic opportunities for low-income, disenfranchised or underemployed Vermonters through the creation of livable-wage jobs and quality workplaces
- Real estate mortgages
- Fixed-asset financing
- Permanent working capital
- Line of credit
- Purchase order financing
- Restructured debt
- Subordinated debt
Rates and Terms
- The current average rate is 7.25%; rates are determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Terms range from several months up to 20 years, and are typically fully amortized.
- Flexibility in term, rate and repayment schedule is project-specific and based on project need and strength of proposal.
- There is an application fee of $50. An origination fee of 1% of the total loan amount and a loan documentation fee of $125 are both due at closing. Expenses incurred for the recording of collateral documentation and anticipated discharge of such documentation are also due at closing.
- Collateral is required to include a security interest in fixed assets, inventory and receivables. VCLF may also require security in the form of personal guarantees, collateral on personal assets or a cosigner.
Maximum Loan Amount
- The current maximum loan amount will not exceed $350,000.
How to Apply
We encourage you to speak to a loan officer before submitting a loan application.